Click HERE to register.
We provide a well-rounded music education for students and help them obtain skills that they can use for the rest of their lives. Beyond music and musicianship, students will also learn poise, discipline, goal setting, self-esteem, time management skills, and public presentation skills. We also provide a fun experience to those who want to explore the life-long enjoyment of learning music.
Music Stream Center’s comprehensive
private lesson program combines individual lessons with music lab
time, musicianship classes, recitals, Music Teachers’ Association
concert opportunities, and various auditions, competitions, master
classes, special awards, etc.
Individual Private Lessons
- Students must bring music and an instrument for each individual private lesson.
- During private lessons we will focus on posture, performance, and mainly techniques to help improve finger strength and bowing techniques.
- Focus on scales, fine tuning, and exploring different repertoire for auditions and performance.
- There will be time set aside for the student to explore and set goals for themselves as to what they would like to accomplish at the end of this academic school year.
Music With Friends
- As another option for an
affordable and enjoyable musical experience, MSC also offers beginning
classes for groups of 2-3 students. This is an excellent way for
friends, spouses, or siblings to enjoy learning music together. These
lessons will cover the same material as private lessons, while
accommodating the pace of both students in the class.Please see our tuition chart for pricing information.
- The musicianship classes consist of theory, ear training, rhythm, performance, repertoire, ensemble, music history, music appreciation, composition, improvisation, transposition, harmonization, singing, movements, sight singing, sight playing and technique, etc.
- Students learn each subject through the benefit of group teaching and games.
- The detailed content of each class will depend upon the age and level of each group.
- Each class will have 4 to 8 students and will last for one hour.
- There are five musicianship class weeks from September to June. Please refer to the school calendar for the dates.
- The classes will be held in place of the private lesson for that week.
- For string groups we will explore different duets and quartets from various composers.
- There will be 5 recitals throughout the school year.
- Every student must dress up for any recital or musical event. This is part of the student’s training. Boys need to wear a dress shirt, dress slacks, a tie, and dress shoes. Girls need to wear a suitable dress. Dressing up always makes the performer feel good and play better.
- All the students are expected to perform at EVERY studio recital. This is perhaps the most valuable part of the student’s musical education.
- Students will also be given the opportunity to perform in recitals presented by CAPMT (California Association of Professional Music Teachers), DMTA (Davis Music Teachers’ Association), MTAC (Music Teachers’ Association of California), MTNA (Music Teachers’ National Association) and SMAC (Suzuki Music Association of California).
Instrument Rentals and Repair
If you need to rent an instrument or repair your violin or cello, we recommend:
Contact your teacher if you need further assistance with your instrument.
How to care for your stringed instrument
Violin Sizing Guide
*Measure from the middle of the left palm to the neck, with left arm and hand fully extended out perpendicular to body (as if holding a violin).
Here are some brand names we recommend:
Armstrong, Artley, Bach, Besson, Benge, Blessing, Bueshcer, Bufffet Crampon, Bundy, Conn, Eastman, Emerson, Fox, Gemeinhardt, Getzen, Glaesel, Holton, Jupiter, Keilwerth, King, Knnilling, Leblanc, Wm Lewis, Lidl, Martin, Scherl & Roth, Scheibner, Schroetter, Selmer, St. Petersburg, Yanagisawa, Vito, and Yamaha.